RE: [fetchmail]List Moderation... (is there another solution)

2002-01-13 04:37:42
Rob,

I think the spam that reached us in the same batch yesterday proves that
moderation is not the best solution. There are other solutions:

1) Closing the list for non-subscribers;
2) Moderate only the first post someone makes;
3) Configure a 'self-moderated' list. Only non-subscribers are being
moderated.

I do not know whether mailman supports these configurations, or some
combination of them.
Professional spammers use scripts to subscribe to 1000's of closed and
self-moderated lists to avoid rejection or moderation, so I prefer a
combination of option 2 and 3.

<grin> You can put that flameproof suit back into your closet now. BTW,
where did you get it </grin>

FrankL

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
[mailto:fetchmail-friends-admin(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org]Namens Rob
MacGregor
Verzonden: maandag 7 januari 2002 20:00
Aan: fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org
Onderwerp: [fetchmail]List Moderation... (is there another solution)

This is an honest question, and I don't know the answer.

Is there another solution to this lists moderation?  I ask because there can
be some significant delay between submitting a post and the post being
approved.  Manual moderation is obviously being used and Eric Raymond
obviously has a life as it's taking time for some posts to be approved.

I assume this is in response to some idiot(s) putting the list address(es)
into spam lists.  However the delays make it hard for people to ask for help
(and get that answer) in a timely fashion (since question, answer,
clarification request, answer can take over 4 days).

So, is there another way?  Maybe making this a closed list?  Or is the
current method the best way to solving whatever the problem is/was?

I'll admit to not volunteering to solve the "problem" (at least not this
month, far too much going on :>).  Just wondering if there is a way that the
list can be made to *seem* more helpful and friendly (as I don't think that
it's lacking those).

<Carefully puts on flameproof suit>

    Please don't CC me on anything sent to mailing lists or send
        me email directly unless it's a privacy issue, thanks.
--
Rob  |  Ask questions the smart way: