Re: [fetchmail]List Moderation... (is there another solution)

2002-01-13 08:10:53
Rob MacGregor <rob_macgregor(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>:
This is an honest question, and I don't know the answer.

Is there another solution to this lists moderation?  I ask because there can
be some significant delay between submitting a post and the post being
approved.  Manual moderation is obviously being used and Eric Raymond
obviously has a life as it's taking time for some posts to be approved.

I assume this is in response to some idiot(s) putting the list address(es)
into spam lists.  However the delays make it hard for people to ask for help
(and get that answer) in a timely fashion (since question, answer,
clarification request, answer can take over 4 days).

So, is there another way?  Maybe making this a closed list?  Or is the
current method the best way to solving whatever the problem is/was?

I'll admit to not volunteering to solve the "problem" (at least not this
month, far too much going on :>).  Just wondering if there is a way that the
list can be made to *seem* more helpful and friendly (as I don't think that
it's lacking those).

<Carefully puts on flameproof suit>

If we make this a closed list, newbies won't be able to ask questions.
If I unmoderate it, people will get

I don't see a better solution.  I'm open to suggestions.
--

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes
without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an