Re: [fetchmail]headerless emails

2002-05-15 19:06:33
On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 09:45:24PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
On Wed, 15 May 2002 13:39:09 -0400, jkinz(_at_)ultranet(_dot_)com wrote:

Like I said - it would be a BIG stretch....

.... cases where an employer/manager/colleage is trying
"get" someone for whatever reason, and they then use the slightest
excuse to harm or fire the individual.  It does NOT hold up
in court assuming the individual has a competent attorney,
but the hassles and money involved prior to getting
to court would be very harmful to the individual.
I suspect it would VERY difficult to fire/sack/dismiss someone just
based on the contents of email they received, willingly on unwillingly.
Even in the US :-)

US employment is based on the legal concept of "at will" which basically
means an employer can terminate an individual at any time.  This makes
firing any individual very easy.  Making it stick if contested is another
matter.  (This is an over-simplification of "at will" but its all we
need for this discussion).

As I said above, it would not hold up in court assuming the
individual fights it and has a competent attorney.

If the individual doesn't fight it - then they are gone. game over. :-(

I think the idea is somewhat based on the very loosely defined US labour
laws, which generally seem to be much less restrictive than European
equivalents. (possibly except the UK).

yes - US employment law is generally less protective of employees than
the laws of some of the western European countries.