Re: [fetchmail]Re: [fetchmail-announce] 6.0.0 release is imminent

2002-06-10 03:40:46
John Summerfield <summer(_at_)os2(_dot_)ami(_dot_)com(_dot_)au> writes:

I'm on fetchmail-5.9.9-1.

It, like releases ever since you implemented automatic rereading the config
file, seems rather prone to silently terminating when the ~/.fetchmailrc is
changed. I fear I've learned to live with it, but it really should get some
attention.

I have also seen this happen several times, but never under the eyes of
a process tracer or debugger :-(

Also, I suspect there's a problem if the changed config is invalid. As
I recall, you said it works by execking itself. If so, then I reckon
that if the new config file contains errors then it will terminate,
though not silently as it does for me.

I'm wondering if changing the program to fork before exec'ing is
worthwhile and waiting for the child to detach with exit 0, and to log a
warning if that fails. (Re-exec'ing takes only place in daemon mode
anyways, so that part should be fine.)