fancy text of various kinds

1991-11-13 10:15:29
This business of what is "easy to put into a stand-alone interactive UA"
strikes me as a red herring ...

Indeed so.  PostScript, TeX, and troff are all of roughly comparable
complexity, in different ways.  It's by no means unthinkable that somebody
would put a TeX interpreter in places where today you find PostScript
interpreters.  (I'm not expecting it, but the idea is not ridiculous.)

However, I go along with the observation that PostScript documents are
simply much more standardized and much less dependent on the outside
environment than troff or TeX documents.  Defining a "portable" troff
or TeX format is non-trivial enough to be left to a supplementary RFC.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology

henry(_at_)zoo(_dot_)toronto(_dot_)edu   utzoo!henry