Re: MTAs and Content-Transfer-Encoding conversions

1993-08-25 12:41:30
At  6:17 AM 8/25/93 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
at a word bounday.  My own guess is that one does NOT want the rule to
be to break at the half-way mark, but rather to break as close to the
right margin as you can get.

I wonder about that.  People are accustomed to reading newspaper columns,
which
are uniform short lines.  I know from experience that people bitch a lot
when
they get text that has straggling words.

I wonder about that.  People are
accustomed to reading newspaper columns,
which are uniform short lines.  I know
from experience that people bitch a lot
when they get text that has straggling
words.

If the remainder is substantially less than
a line long, you probably want it right-shifted some amount, perhaps
STARTING at column 38 (or whatever).

If you right-shift it, how does a MIME reader know that all that whitespace
is unintentional?  There is QP for "ignore this line break" but not for
"ignore this run of spaces", unless I missed it.  I can imagine uses for
such a thing, but it's not there, is it?

But I repeat, this is a human factors question and the questions should
be answered according to whatever works best for reader comprehension.

Agreed.  Opinions anyone?

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Inc.
...from the 30th floor of the ANA Hotel, San Francisco.  Better view than