Re: yet another way to indicate related MIME body parts

1993-10-28 07:57:42
A design goal (unstated naturally ;-) of the mime-sgml proposal is to
be able to use existing, MIME ignorant, software to do the SGML
processing.

        I know that a lot of us share this goal.   All too often
it goes without mention.   Can we maybe "push" it a bit?

             There has to be some middleware software that understands
enough SGML to rebind the MIME parts to the receiver's file system names.
I can see how to do this in a number of ways; I intend to build the
middleware using the existing MIME software; the middleware is, in
part, a MIME UA that just stores the body parts and then invokes the
"real" application.

        Right.   And for other applications there may be more involved.
You might be making temporary directories,  not just temporary files.
But any time we can use non-MIME  (eg: preexisting, thus separately
maintained)  software to do some of the work  we get a big win.

Ed

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)rice(_dot_)edu>, Rice University, Information Systems