Re: Ambiguity on 8859-* and bi-directionality

1994-07-21 04:58:19
Keith Moore writes:

According to Erik Huizer, informative references to non-standards-track
RFCs are permitted, while normative references are not, in standards-track
RFCs.

Another way of doing it would be to reference the IANA registration
for the ISO-8859-* charsets, which should be possible normatively.

This doesn't work.  There is a difference between charsets standardized
for use in MIME, and those registered for use in MIME.  The former
requires approval of an IETF working group and the IESG.

Yes, but that is not in contradiction.
We have decided in the working group on the charsets standardized
for MIME, that is the ISO 8859-* series, and then we said (at least the
wg meeting in Santa Fe, as far as I remember) that we would refer to the
IANA registered charsets with these registered values (the iso-8859-*
names) as coming from rfc1345.

Keld