Re: Ambiguity on 8859-* and bi-directionality

1994-07-22 00:20:14
Masataka Ohta writes:

Yes, but that is not in contradiction.
We have decided in the working group on the charsets standardized
for MIME, that is the ISO 8859-* series, and then we said (at least the
wg meeting in Santa Fe, as far as I remember) that we would refer to the
IANA registered charsets with these registered values (the iso-8859-*
names) as coming from rfc1345.

Specification of ISO-8859-* in RFC 1345 includes ESC, SI and SO.
So, it is no good.

Well, you need to know what the values of these characters are.
If not, you cannot do anything when these characters arrive.

RThe descriptions does not cover the directioality, that is understood,
but that could be covered elsewhere, as also described in a previous
note.

keld