Re: Internationalization of the Internet

1994-11-19 23:59:54
Can we stop now please?  It's getting a little tiring.  I appauld the
Swedish efforts to standardise on ISO 8859/1.  It may not be optimal for
internationalization in the long run, but in the short term it is going
solve a lot of nagging problems in that particular community.

So, Swedish may or may not use MIME.

In sweden we have NOT standardized to use ISO-8859-1. We have standardized
to use MIME.

Confusion! Rhys probably referred to that we have chosen to
recommend the use of Latin-1 (ISO 8859-1) for Swedish text *in
MIME*. Whatever anybody meant, *that* was the decision. Thanks
for the applause!

To use 7bit 2022 is a possible answer to the following problem included
in the original announcement.

   It is no doubt unsatisfactory that two fundamentally different methods for
   the representation of Swedish text are used in electronic mail and News,
   especially in consideration of the close relationship between these two
   services. SUNET therefore wishes to stimulate discussion on how the problem
   with representing Swedish characters in News can be solved. The discussion
   will be conducted in the News group swnet.mail.

and, if you use the encoding for mails too, 8bitness of MIME is not
necessary.

Moreover, as there is only a single localization considered, "charset"
feature of MIME is not necessary from the beginning.

So, Swedesh does not need MIME, which does not mean they can't use it.

                                                        Masataka Ohta