Re: Time to act: draft-klyne-msghdr-registry

2002-02-12 07:55:53

Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
area directors are already vastly overburdended.  and the effort to do the
task you are assigning is substantial.

The requirement will also, therefore, cause substantial delay.

Good point. And I can't think of anyone else in a suitable role, so I
withdraw that.

I think striking the right balance's important: The burden should be big
enough to prevent most frivolous additions,

No.  We have had 30 years of unregulated header name availability.  Has
there been a problem with frivolous additions?

We've had 30 years where the way to add a new name was to implement
support for it and release new software, acts which requires quite a bit
of thought. Certainly not something one tends to do frivolously.

A registry without _any_ threshold might end up like alt.config. Having to
write a spec, provide a forum for discussion and go through a two-week
discussion (or wait two weeks for comments) isn't much of a barrier, but
should be enough.

It does not make sense to fix a problem that does not exist, and create
substantial extra work and delay?

Agreed. But I think "write spec; set up mailing list; deal with comments"
usually would be less work than "implement feature; release new version"
was in the past. As long as it's substantially more than "make new
alt.fan.me.me.me newsgroup" I'm happy.

--Arnt