Re: Time to act: draft-klyne-msghdr-registry

2002-02-12 08:47:49

At 03:55 PM 2/12/2002 +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
We've had 30 years where the way to add a new name was to implement
support for it and release new software, acts which requires quite a bit
of thought. Certainly not something one tends to do frivolously.

A registry without _any_ threshold might end up like alt.config. Having to
write a spec, provide a forum for discussion and go through a two-week
discussion (or wait two weeks for comments) isn't much of a barrier, but
should be enough.

Writing a spec that has one's name on it very much IS a barrier.

> It does not make sense to fix a problem that does not exist, and create
> substantial extra work and delay?

Agreed. But I think "write spec; set up mailing list; deal with comments"
usually would be less work than "implement feature;

less work, perhaps, but that does not make it insufficient.

repeat 10 times:  this is a registry, not a standards process.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464