Re: Fwd: Last Call: Registration procedures for message header fields to BCP

2002-11-12 10:12:32

In
<5(_dot_)1(_dot_)0(_dot_)14(_dot_)2(_dot_)20021111161503(_dot_)03e75360(_at_)127(_dot_)0(_dot_)0(_dot_)1>
 Graham Klyne <GK-lists(_at_)ninebynine(_dot_)org> writes:

I assume you refer to [1] [2].  See also [3] for an example of possible
registry data on the Web.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klyne-hdrreg-mail-01.txt
    (whose content is set to be updated, with input from Jacob Palme)

[2] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nottingham-hdrreg-http-00.txt

[3]
http://www.ninebynine.org/IETF/Messaging/HdrRegistry/MailHeaderPermanentRegistry.html

http://www.ninebynine.org/IETF/Messaging/HdrRegistry/MailHeaderProvisionalRegistry.html

The last one I saw was draft-klyne-hdrreg-mail-00.txt, so I need to look
at the others. But here is an example from that document:

2.1.3 Sender: header

   Header name:
      Sender

      Mailbox of message sender

   Applicable protocol:
      mail (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt)

   Author/change controller:
      Peter W.  Resnick  (mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com)
      QUALCOMM Incorporated, 5775 Morehouse Drive,
      San Diego, CA 92121-1714, USA.
      Tel: +1 858 651 4478
      Fax: +1 858 651 1102

   Specification document(s):
      http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt (section 3.6.2)

   Related information:
      Specifies the mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual
      transmission of the message.

2.1.4 Reply-To: header

   Header name:
      Reply-To

      Mailbox for replies to message

   Applicable protocol:
      mail (http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt)

   Author/change controller:
      Peter W.  Resnick  (mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com)
      QUALCOMM Incorporated, 5775 Morehouse Drive,
      San Diego, CA 92121-1714, USA.
      Tel: +1 858 651 4478
      Fax: +1 858 651 1102

   Specification document(s):
      http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt (section 3.6.2)

   Related information:
      When the R"eply-To: "field is present, it indicates the
      mailbox(es) to which the author of the message suggests that
      replies be sent.

All in all, Peter Resnick's full address appears 22 times in that
document. It shouldn't require any rocket science to include it once, with
suitable pointers when required. Indeed, when there is an RFC mentioned
(as there usually is), then it should suffice to assume that the RFC
author is the responsible controller, except in special cases where he
isn't.

Again, it should not be necessary to give a full URL for an RFC. They are
well known documents (and that URL is not the only place from which they
can be retrieved). It should suffice for a preamble to the Registry to
explain the notation and how to obtain RFCs. And maybe a separate
references section containing the usual Bibliographic details for all RFCs
mentioned in the registry.

But as it stands, there is so much wood that it is difficult to discern
the trees.

BTW, please note that there is now a new draft of Jacob Palme's list of
headers as draft-palme-mailext-headers-08.txt.

Email: chl(_at_)clw(_dot_)cs(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5
Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.