Re: Fwd: Last Call: Registration procedures for message header fields to BCP

2002-11-17 09:02:39

At 14:16 +0000 02-11-14, Graham Klyne wrote:
>>If the registry, as maintained by IANA, is in a web format, then quoting
>>just the RFC numbers visibly, with the URL hidden behind it for clicking
>>purposes, would be fine. No clutter to confuse the viewer.
>
>Yes - easily arranged.
>
>>If the registry is to be available in printed form, then again the RFC
>>numbers should appear at those points, and the full titles, URLs, etc
>>should be listed in a References section at the end.
>
>That sounds like a good plan.  Though we do have the issue
>that the change controller is not necessarily the
>specification document author.

Would not the registry itself be using some data base
system. And this discussion then is about the user
interface to this data base. There could be both an
interactive web interface, possibly with a search facility,
a print-on-paper interface, and possibly an interface
producing just ASCII text for those who want that. An
interface using HTML tables is useful, because there are
software to convert HTML tables to most formats the
recipient wants to have the information converted to.

Or does IANA prefer to store everything
in text files, and not use data base systems?

This is entirely up to IANA. We specify what goes in the registry and how. It
is up to IANA to decide how to implement that.

                                Ned