Re: [Asrg] MTP drafty

2003-03-05 14:03:25
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 11:50:12AM -0500, Kee Hinckley wrote:
A verified sender model would allow us to automatically fix this
problem, by reliably allowing him to unsubscribe.  Spam services or
MUAs could use that information and present the option to the user.
With legal backing, companies that ignored the request could be
reported for abuse.

Verifying senders with a signature would of course solve some problems,
but the free speech implications of this are pretty dramatic.  If this
is to be done, it should only be done to bulk mailers.  I believe
we should, in the end, recommend no change be made to person to person
e-mail, since there is no problem with that.

I'm not even that keen on one aspect of my own draft, that by pooling
statistics on the mail from unknowns, you create a convenient single
surveillance point for some aspects of information about E-mail.

The hope is that most people get on the trusted IP list quickly and
don't go through the single point, and that for those who do, information
is discarded as soon as it is not needed.  Still, it's a concern.

Of course, confirmed opt-in would prevent the problem from occurring
at all.

It helps, but has its own annoyances.   Plus it's a loophole, in
that spammers will just send out messages saying

"This is to confirm your request to subscribe to our mailing list
about where to get cheap penis enlargers.  Click on this link to
confirm your subscription!"