Re: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

2003-03-08 11:04:02
From: "Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com>

So after 10 years, where is the Usenet now?  Well, luckily, not bad (in
the mainstream groups).  Is that because of the effectiveness of the
tools?  For a time it was.  But now even the tools don't work that
effectively for a variety of reasons.  The tools were a stopgap.
Nowadays, most ISPs capable of running Usenet in a serious fashion have
learned how to secure their systems, so abuse is much harder, and a lot
more people see every incident.

The main reason why I say this is, like CR, DCC will have a distinct
lifetime during which it's useful.

Ask yourself, how well would DCC fair if someone with the experience of
you or I started writing ratware with what we know?  The thought is
appalling.

I see much the same, but from a different, perhaps optimistic angle.
Since I resumed email spam checksumming with the DCC, I've said that
the DCC is targeted against "mainsleaze" or junk such as the Dell
newsletters that have been rattling my traps.  I'm counting on the
cottage spammers being controlled by governments.  If my predictions
(not proposals!) about what Congress and the DMA will do come true
in time, then defenses like the DCC and even other defenses like
SpamAssassin and so called Bayesian filters will be remain effective.
I'm predicting that the genuinely professional advertisers will move
to save email advertising with fees or taxes, including capping the
spam per victim rate at about 1 dozen interesting commercial messages/day.
The professionals will not deign or even want to do things like hire
the anti-SpamAssassin groomers.