Re: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

2003-03-10 10:19:40
I think Keith is wrong here, the objective should be to get rid of
unwanted email of any type. Decding what we call spam is beside the
point.

actually, I agree with the above statement - so I'm not sure why you
think I'm wrong.

In particular I really believe that the stuff Bernstein and SpamArrest
puke out through their spambots requesting a confirmation of each
email you send them IS SPAM.

it's fine with me if you declare it spam for your purposes, as long as
you don't insist that it be spam for everyone else's purposes.

I want to have a definition of spam that
makes it very clear that people who reduce the amount of spam they get
by increasing the amount of spam I get are not proposing an acceptable
solution.

actually I suspect we're better off not trying to define spam at all,
because I don't think we're going to all agree on a meaning,
and use of the word just seems to promote misunderstanding.  instead,
let's talk about more precise mail categories that people might choose
to permit or discourage without presuming that everyone will pick the
same criteria.

Keith