RE: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

2003-03-10 09:41:39
I think Keith is wrong here, the objective should be to get rid of unwanted
email of any type. Decding what we call spam is beside the point.

In particular I really believe that the stuff Bernstein and SpamArrest puke
out through their spambots requesting a confirmation of each email you send
them IS SPAM. I want to have a definition of spam that makes it very clear
that people who reduce the amount of spam they get by increasing the amount
of spam I get are not proposing an acceptable solution.

Another problem with the UCE moniker is that a huge fraction (60% at least)
of the spam I get is not commercial, it is outright fraud. Nigerian letters
are not commercial solicitations, they are outright attempts at fraud
perpetrated by people who are kidnappers, murderers and theives.

        Phill

Guiding General Principles: - spam is UBE (unsolicited bulk email)

<snip>

that way, we wouldn't all have to agree on what spam was.

Keith

 ----- I finally agree with something Keith said.. hmm.

 I believe that my previous statement still holds true- Spam
is in the eye
of the beholder.