RE: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

2003-03-10 10:32:30
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com>

I think Keith is wrong here, the objective should be to get rid of unwanted
email of any type. Decding what we call spam is beside the point.

I strongly disagree.  We should not be worrying about all possible
notions of unwanted email, but only about email that damages the
system, either technically or otherwise, such as by making mail less
useful to users.  Communications from ex-spouses and creditors is
often unwanted, but does not harm the system.  Only bulk mail
can harm the system.

It is not that it is impossible to consider mechanisms to deal with
broader classes of unwanted email, but that goals with well defined
limits are vital for success in any design effort.

Besides, mechanisms to deal with unwanted mail that is not bulk are
well established and very widely available.  Most of the so called
spam filters offered by ISPs are suitable for rejecting mail from
creditors and ex-spouses.

If the mechanisms for dealing with unwanted bulk mail turn out to also
be effective against other kinds of unwanted mail, then fine.  Dealing
with dumb jokes from your mother-in-law should not be a goal here.