Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-08 11:20:05
At 7:24 AM -0400 4/8/03, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
I think the problem is rather that forged return addresses make people
reluctant to use otherwise attractive methods for spam control. A content
based spam detector that had a 1% false positive rate might be acceptable
if senders were informed that their message had been rejected, but not if

As a counter-point, consider challenge-response systems, which are happy to send bounces to all senders, assumed spam or not. Part of the difference might be that individuals probably don't have a big problem with bounces, but an ISP doing bounces is basically an indiscriminate weapon. That's a good argument for a bulk bounce protocol.

on the floor. (I realize that there is always an option to deliver to a
spam folder, but I have never understood why that was an improvement over
ordinary delivery).

It's not ideal, but it is far faster to scan a folder of "probably spam" than to try and filter spam out of your real email.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.