Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-08 15:01:41
On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 05:34:14PM -0400, Kee Hinckley wrote:
Not entirely true.  Many mail systems send notices that the message
is still in the process of being delivered, but hasn't yet.  But
let's avoid the word "bounce" for a second.

Well, there are error reports (message not delivered, you must send again
if you want it delivered) and status reports (message pending but not yet
completed, you need do nothing, you'll get an error if it fails) and challenges
(message pending but not delivered, you must do something to get it to be
delivered.)

Added to this could be "It's now been delivered" status reports for when
you got a prior status report or challenge, and an error which effectively
means "you took too long to respond to the challenge but it was delivered/
was not delivered."

(Yes, mail can be delivered if you don't resond to the challenge, in my
system I get a daily summary and pick any messages I want for delivery, but
I don't inform folks about this at present.)

A C/R system MUST NOT challenge mailing list mail, for example, but a MTA
SHOULD send bounces/error reports on mailing list mail.

Why do you say that?  We've all had the enjoyment of dealing with a
C/R system that did just that to this list.  You clearly don't want
the challenge going to each member of the mailing list.  It should go
to the list owner, who can deal with it as they wish (probably by
booting the subscriber--but that's up to them).

True, though because it is normal for mailing list management systems to
do automatic error handling -- usual technique being to count the errors
and remove the user after too many -- I doubt many would want to handle
actual challenges that need a human.   But it would be up to them as you
say.  But this means the challenge goes to the envelope-from, and might not
go to the human being who really needs to see it, no?