Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-08 15:05:55

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 02:34  PM, Kee Hinckley wrote:

Not entirely true. Many mail systems send notices that the message is still in the process of being delivered, but hasn't yet. But let's avoid the word "bounce" for a second.

off-topic, but what an absolute waste of time, especially those that do it when the precedence headers tell them it's bulk and we don't CARE.

A C/R system MUST NOT challenge mailing list mail, for example, but a MTA
SHOULD send bounces/error reports on mailing list mail.

Why do you say that? We've all had the enjoyment of dealing with a C/R system that did just that to this list.

I think what brad is saying is that when you subscribe to a list, as a user, it's your responsibility to whitelist mail from that list through your c/r system. If you don't, and the c/r system challenges the mail list or users who post to it, the user is broken, not the list.

Our police is pretty simple here: if we get a challenge to any of our subscription systems, it's ignored, or treated as a bounce as appropriate. We will not respond to a challenge to open a port for a list. That's the user's responsibility. We feel the risk of responding and pissing off a user is so much worse than a user who does that to themselves and wonders why the subscription isn't working, so we'll let subscriptions lapse rather than respond to challenges for a list. (OTOH, I think that means we as list owners have a responsibility to explain this to users, so they know what needs to be done, and putting that in the FAQ and welcome messages is on my list to get done, hopefully this week).