Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-09 15:11:28
On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:56:49AM +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote
On Tuesday, Apr 8, 2003, at 20:43 Europe/London, Brad Templeton wrote:

Challenges go to the author of the mail, as per the From/Reply-to,
while Bounces go to the envelope-from sender of the messages.

If this is the case, C/R systems will cause mail loops. I thought we'd
learned from the vacation message problems that all automated responses
should go to the envelope-from?

  Practical question... (Theoretical types can stick their fingers in
their ears while I ask)  how many MTAs (besides Qmail with "Return-Path"
headers) make this info available to the MUA ?  And in those cases, how
many MUAs would know about it ?  The roblem with an end-user C/R system
is that the MUA usually only has the "From:" header to work with and Joe
Average (as opposed to the average subscriber to this list) doesn't have
a clue about the difference between "From:" and "MAIL FROM:"

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will