Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-09 21:47:59
From: J C Lawrence <claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu>

wayne  <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:

their ears while I ask) how many MTAs (besides Qmail with
"Return-Path" headers) make this info available to the MUA ?

Sendmail has added Return-Path for years, and the UNIX style From_
for decades.

And in those cases, how many MUAs would know about it ?

Proximal to zero.

I'm not aware of any MUAs (possible exception of GNUs, ...

What does it mean for an MUA to know about the envelope sender?

The decades old BSD and SV `mail` programs know about the UNIX
style From_ header with its envelope sender value, and in fact require
it in mailboxes.  I suspect far newer MUAs such as Netscape when
running on UNIX-like systems are similar.
The old `mail` also knows about Return-Path in the sense of displaying
the header unless you tell recent versions to suppress it.

What about the decades old UNIX `vacation` program?  If it is an MUA,
then it certainly knows about the envelope sender, because that's
where it directs its messages.