Re: [Asrg] Ban the bounce; improved challenge-response systems

2003-04-10 13:42:09
At 6:11 PM -0400 4/9/03, waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org wrote:
  Practical question... (Theoretical types can stick their fingers in
their ears while I ask)  how many MTAs (besides Qmail with "Return-Path"

All MTAs are supposed to write Return-Path before the final delivery. CommuniGate and Sendmail certainly do. I was unable to find anything in the specs indicating what should happen if there was already a Return-Path there (forgery attempt?), but it seems to me that the MTA should remove the old one (or rename it). I don't know what common practice is though. The only mailer I've seen that doesn't generate Return-Path is Qualcomm's Mac MTA--and that may have changed in newer versions.

headers) make this info available to the MUA ?  And in those cases, how
many MUAs would know about it ?  The roblem with an end-user C/R system

I don't believe there's any standard that specifies what to do with a Return-Path if you are an MUA. Certainly most aren't going to display it. Eudora can if you tell it to (I have it turned on). Outlook probably can. I don't think OE lets you change what headers get displayed.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.