Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-09 15:05:52
From: Kee Hinckley <nazgul(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com>

This doesn't make it less insulting or inappropriate. No matter how you mask it, it's a "game" that I have to play in order to talk to you. It implicitly assumes that your time is more important than mine, and that my message is less important to you than avoiding spam.

for me personaly:
yes, I would rather have neither than both.

If the only thing you care about is inconveniencing the receiver, then you've completely missed the point.

personaly:
If i spent the time to write an email to someone, who then asked to verify my humanity, I would spend the extra 10 seconds to make sure my previous efforts were not wasted.

Turning it into a cutesy game is actually worse. If you're going to do it, do it cleanly. I'd far rather interpret some word in a graphic than sit there trying to figure out what obscure historical figure some idiot picked out for me to guess. *Especially* if the reason I'm contact the person is to do them a favor.

This is going to require a longer explanation.
Looking ten years down the road I see ai programs that can respond to the "type the word" type requests easily. I see spam as coming directly(avoiding relays altogether) from spammers who stick around at a real $10 domain just long enough send out 100 million spams(with 300 million decoys to mess with baysean filters) and answer the tests, then change their ip's(possibly by moving their equipment physically) to avoid RBLs(or any sort of blacklist).

Farfetched? you tell me.
Nobody would ever go that far to send spam.....
yeah right.

That is why I propose to let everyone be responsible for thier own test. any inconvinience you experience will be felt 400 million times by a spammer.

if people get used to the idea of server generated tests, then it will just be that much harder to get them to make their own later on.

perhaps we might actually turn spammers into the worlds best ai programmers, but not likely. I think it will just stop spam.

That is an impimentation decision. a good system might have a special tool to handle mailing lists.

???!! You clearly weren't hear last week when everyone who posted to the list got a challenge from someone on the list. Dealing with mailing lists isn't an "implementation detail". It is something that has to be designed into the system from the very start. If you haven't figured out how to deal with mailing lists, bounce messages, vacation notices, challenges that respond with challenges from other similar systems and other automated email, then you need to go back and do some more thinking. These aren't options--they are requirements of the real world.

ok... so i didn't have the solution then, I'll post it later today, or tomorrow.(already fairly in depth)

Mail delivery needs to occur without human intervention.

Mail begins and ends with people.

Trite, but not useful in the real world. Especially when you get that automated notice from your ISP telling you that your credit card is about to expire and you need to give them a new one.

This situation won't be a problem at all.

John Fenley