Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-08 19:47:35
On Mon, 07 Apr 2003, John Constantinescu wrote:

> I had never heard of TMDA brefore, but I can tell you now why it will not
> work, and mine will:

[snip]

I can tell you why CR systems requiring human input in general
will never work for establishing 'is-not-a-spammer' creditentials:

They're generally insulting and usually inappropriate.

Yes, I agree. server generated turing tests are insulting.
that is why, in my system, the duty falls to the user to create their own fun interesting test. In fact people love to personalize their stuff (sig lines, custom picture avatars in weblogs, etc...). they might at some point even boycot a system that does not allow them to create their own personal test(a then itegral part of the sysem).

I've mailed a few people using such systems. Usually these are people
who ask a question on a mailing list, but sometimes they write
unsolicited because they read something I wrote. I spend time answering
them, and then they want me to play some stupid game for the priviledge.
I never bother, and never will.

This is a specific case. You the sender are inconvinienced, and the user of this system never got your response. they just think you never sent it. The user experiences no inconvinience. that is the point of the system. I decide I dont want to deal with people that don't want to deal with me.

In my system, the "challenge" is similar to me sending a "thanks for emailing me" message back, then you sending a "your welcome". In fact the Challenge could say thanks, and then ask the question.

I'm guessing you got a server generated message asking you to "type the word you see in the box"

As far as the other side of things, such systems are worthless for
businesses. Asking customers to jump through hoops for the honor of
inquiring about my business is a complete non-starter.

This solution was not meant to target the buissiness user. It was meant to target the new internet user. The one who might actually buy the product mentioned in a spam email. When was the last time you(the experienced internet user) bought anything from a spam email? If the market(meaning new users) becomes unresponsive to spam, spam will not be a viable marketing strategy, and will end.

There are other problems related to the use of multiple email addresses
(I send mail under several identites, and recieve under probably a
hundred). Without creating unique 1-1 maps between correspondent pairs,
you have huge problems there (and if you do, what about N-way groups?).

That is an impimentation decision. a good system might have a special tool to handle mailing lists.

Mail delivery needs to occur without human intervention.

Mail begins and ends with people.

-John