Re: [Asrg] New take on emerging idea. (yet another C-R system?)

2003-04-09 10:03:40
At 8:47 PM -0600 4/8/03, John Constantinescu wrote:
They're generally insulting and usually inappropriate.

Yes, I agree. server generated turing tests are insulting.
that is why, in my system, the duty falls to the user to create their own fun interesting test. In fact people love to personalize their stuff (sig lines,

This doesn't make it less insulting or inappropriate. No matter how you mask it, it's a "game" that I have to play in order to talk to you. It implicitly assumes that your time is more important than mine, and that my message is less important to you than avoiding spam. As I have said extensively in the archives--there is a mistaken assumption in C/R. It assumes that you care less about receiving the message than I care about sending it. There are many, many cases where this is not true.

unsolicited because they read something I wrote. I spend time answering
them, and then they want me to play some stupid game for the priviledge.
I never bother, and never will.

This is a specific case. You the sender are inconvinienced, and the user of this system never got your response. they just think you never sent it. The user experiences no inconvinience. that is the point of the system. I decide I dont want to deal with people that don't want to deal with me.

If the only thing you care about is inconveniencing the receiver, then you've completely missed the point. Email involves multiple people, you can't think about only one of them. Why not just delete their email program? Then they'll *never* be inconvenienced.

In my system, the "challenge" is similar to me sending a "thanks for emailing me" message back, then you sending a "your welcome". In fact the Challenge could say thanks, and then ask the question.

You're trying to put roses on a pile of garbage. The fact remains, if I don't play the game, you aren't going to read my email. Turning it into a cutesy game is actually worse. If you're going to do it, do it cleanly. I'd far rather interpret some word in a graphic than sit there trying to figure out what obscure historical figure some idiot picked out for me to guess. *Especially* if the reason I'm contact the person is to do them a favor.

That is an impimentation decision. a good system might have a special tool to handle mailing lists.

???!! You clearly weren't hear last week when everyone who posted to the list got a challenge from someone on the list. Dealing with mailing lists isn't an "implementation detail". It is something that has to be designed into the system from the very start. If you haven't figured out how to deal with mailing lists, bounce messages, vacation notices, challenges that respond with challenges from other similar systems and other automated email, then you need to go back and do some more thinking. These aren't options--they are requirements of the real world.

Mail delivery needs to occur without human intervention.

Mail begins and ends with people.

Trite, but not useful in the real world. Especially when you get that automated notice from your ISP telling you that your credit card is about to expire and you need to give them a new one.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.