Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honey pot plug

2003-04-09 04:20:54
On Wednesday, Apr 9, 2003, at 11:49 Europe/London, Brad Spencer wrote:

At 10:06 AM 4/9/2003 +0100, Matt Sergeant wrote:

I don't see how an open proxy honeypot would work. With an open relay honeypot you can deliver the test message at any later time. An open proxy probe is realtime.

The open proxy may get two types of use: the spammer may try to test other IPs through it to see if they are open relays or he might try to send spam through it to known open relays.

This is a bogus assumption. It's much easier to test an open proxy by testing it can connect somewhere you own, not check that you can relay mail through it. I have no idea why a spammer would try the latter since it's much *much* slower. Or you'd even test it can access a known web site, like google.

Can you explain why a spammer might try an email first rather than just check the proxy is functioning?

Matt.