Re: [Asrg] Whitelisting on Message-ID (Was Turing Test ...) honey pot plug

2003-04-08 07:37:18
At 08:43 AM 4/8/2003 -0600, you wrote:

I agree it's not fatal, just pushing the problem somewhere else. I believe
technical solutions are better than legislative ones. The ISP eventually has
to do something after more of their CIDR blocks find there way into an RBL.

Honeypots are a technical solution. They work in conjunction with blocklists. They are a "something more" done by an ISP or by individuals who wish to eliminate spam. They're an action taken by the clueful to make harder exploitation of the clueless. They work.

If action against some form of abuse can't be taken because the spammers will just go to a different form of abuse then isn't it time to give up? Maybe it's time to add one or more additional requirements to the existing list:

o  Must stop spam so effectively that the spammers don't try anything else.
o  Must be technical, must not rely on any law enforcement activity, must ...

I see: have so many restrictions that ending spam is indeed impossible. Is that the ASRG task: to so restrict solutions that no solution is possible? Interesting. I object.

I've got an anti-spam method that works without needing any change to existing protocols, is 100% efficient - no false positives, no false negatives, is economical of compute resources, is widely applicable, has a multitude of possible utilizations, has three year's history of effectiveness and the response is that it's not usable because if it is used the spammers will do something else. If that's the way it is it is past time for me to say goodbye but for a while I'll try to convince people that it is possible to take action where none is taken and that that action will provide great benefits, if the goal is to help end spam.

Sorry if I'm brittle but if ASRG is just NANAE all over again there's no point in my continuing.