Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-26 22:58:59
J C Lawrence wrote:

Yup, the accountability is precisely where it should be: all yours.  You
chose that ISP, you choose to remain with that ISP, and you thereby
elect to accept the service they provide, however defined.

JC,

I love your answer! It makes my point so clearly. I certainly didn't choose the recipient's ISP, so you must be talking about my (the sender's) ISP. My ISP's server got blocked, so they are doing something to piss someone off somewhere.

Let's suppose I have chosen one of the largest ISPs in the US so that I can be safe from this kind of crap. I just want to do business and send Aunt Effie the occasional foto of little Orville. Well, bad choice on my part. No safety from the cycops in numbers. I gotta do my homework better.

Well, let's further suppose that my ISP has never done anything wrong wrt my account, so I haven't left them. Bad choice. It's not about me. It's not what they are doing to my account, but what they are letting others do. I should have been watching them.

Let's further assume that I haven't seen anything negative about them in WSJ and my local business section. Bad choice. I have been looking in the wrong place. I should have been reading the info the blocklists publish on their Web sites.

At this point, we have left the realm of the ordinary home or business users, but let's keep going.

Let's assume that I do regularly read the little lists of six million or so blocklist providers and I still came up with no derogs on my ISP. Bad choice. I should have been watching more carefully. I should spend all my time watching the blocklist providers rather than try to do any business at all.

Well, finally, we've reached the bottom line:

If you have anything important to do, don't do it on the Internet.

That's what you wanted, isn't it?

 -LM