Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 10:35:32
Jon Kyme wrote:

No. You have no "right" to expect anything not provided for in the contract
you've made (with *your* ISP) for mail service.

My ISP does not control all the other ISPs. Without multilateral
agreements in place, there is no contractual right that my ISP can
provide me that will ensure my mail will not be blocked by the
recipient's ISP. That means that e-mail will forever be unreliable and
unusable for any purpose other than spam, where you don't care whether
or not the message gets through.

ISPs will either work out multilateral agreements like all the other
public service networks or they will be worked out for them and jammed
down their throats.

"Best effort" implies no more than it says. A best effort may well fail.
"Best effort" is categorically not the same as "reliable".
And of course, "Best" will mean "the best that can be done in the
circumstances".

Best still means best.

Along with "Best effort", you'll also come across the term "Common
Consent".

If you don't want to consent to handle e-mail traffic, then don't. If
you do, then handle it properly and deliver legitimate mail. "Common
consent" does not extend the right to say you will handle mail and then
to refuse. That's just fraud.

 -LM