Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / DNSBLS

2003-04-28 06:12:49

When I send a message via my ISP to someone on another ISP, it is highly
unlikely that it will traverse any systems that are not there to make
money for their owners by carrying my traffic. For that reason, I have
every right to expect that great care will be taken from one end to the
other. Even the term commonly used to describe Internet mail transport,
"best effort", creates the expectation of reliable service. That's
because "best" means best, not second best or half-assed.

No. You have no "right" to expect anything not provided for in the contract
you've made (with *your* ISP) for mail service.

"Best effort" implies no more than it says. A best effort may well fail.
"Best effort" is categorically not the same as "reliable".
And of course, "Best" will mean "the best that can be done in the
circumstances".

Along with "Best effort", you'll also come across the term "Common
Consent".