RE: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-04-27 06:43:39
Chris,

        Yes, I know that. The details of the server-server protocol
are not relevant to the point I make in the paper. Usenet is flood
fill at the server-server level, every node is accepting everything
so which side initiates the polling sequence is irrelevant.

        At the abstract level however mail is inherently a push
application, the side that initiates the conversation pushes the
message to the end user. Except in very rare circumstances the
protocol is inherently promiscuous, accepting solicitations from
any party.

        Mailing lists however are not inherently a push model, in
fact they are inherently a pull model, the subscriber does just
that, she subscribes. The communication is instigated by the
recipient, not the sender.

        The point made in the paper is that you can bypass the
problem of false positives wrt mailing lists by using a protocol
that supports the implicit authentication provided by the
polling being initiated by the subscriber. The chief candidate
for this would be RSS, although the NNTP client protocol could
be used as an alternative.

        The idea would be to have a 'click here to subscribe'
button in a browser which when clicked would automatically
add the channel to the list of subscriptions the user has.

        Sure you could try to promote use of POP or IMAP for the
same purpose, I don't think that would get very far, the clients
are simply too far from the application.

                Phill