Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-04-28 17:35:59
At 12:29 PM -0700 4/26/03, J C Lawrence wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 07:43:35 -0700
Phillip Hallam-Baker <Hallam-Baker> wrote:

 The spam problem is solely one with the SMTP protocool.

 Not quite, it also comes with SMS messages, and telephone calls
 and... well pretty much evey protocol where the conversation is
 initiated by someone other than the recipient.

I'm told that IM spam via Yahoo/MSN/etc al is becoming common.  I've not
seen it under Jabber.

I don't think I've seen anyone propose doing what AOL does with AIM to email.

Admittedly, it only works because AOL controls all the servers, but that hasn't stopped any other proposals :-).

If someone sends you an unwanted instant message, you simply dis them. (Okay, AOL doesn't call it that, but I can never remember their word for it.) The sender's messages are now delivered slowly for some period of time. If more than a few people do the same, they can't send at all for a while. Simple, understandable, efficient, and effective.

It's not going to work for email though. In fact its weak point is that AOL uses email as the authentication mechanism.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Junk-Free Email Filtering

everyone else's.