Re: [Asrg] A New Plan for No Spam / Velocity Indicator

2003-04-26 14:36:45
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
  The spam problem is solely one with the SMTP protocool.

Not quite, it also comes with SMS messages, and telephone calls
and... well pretty much evey protocol where the conversation is
initiated by someone other than the recipient.

  Yes, but SMTP allows you to do something that telephone calls and
SMS don't: send the same traffic to multiple users at the remote site.
I can't call your house, and force everyone in your house to listen to
the message.  I can only leave one copy of the message, and it only
gets duplicated if you choose to duplicate it.

  This problem becomes geometrically worse with open relays/proxies.
I don't know of any open telephone answering machine I can call which
will automatically dial any number of destinations I choose, and
deliver my message.

  Alan DeKok.