Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-06-26 19:18:34
At 10:08 PM 6/26/2003 -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

On June 26, 2003 at 18:53 vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com (Vernon
Schryver) wrote:
 > > From: Barry Shein <bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com>

 > > If we can conclude that MILLIONS of PCs are PURPOSELY being infected
 > > by viruses designed to turn them into spam delivery robots...then
 > > there's nothing we can do?
 > >
 > > Sure we can, for starters we can alert all interested parties that
 > > this is underlying the spam problem and more importantly agree that
 > > this is the real problem.
 >
 > That's reasonable, but I doubt it will have much effect.

Look, it's taken weeks of my harping on the point to even begin to get
it taken seriously in this group of people who claim some expertise in
network engineering and related and spend time thinking about the
problem.

Not surprisingly (to me), there's this kind of denial and insistance
on thinking about spam only in terms of the spam on one's screen
rather than as a network wide security phenomena.
[..]

It is a problem of network abuse - trusted users abusing the system. The problem is that on the Internet every host is trusted. Are you suggesting that we should be looking at ways to make sure that the underlying network would capable to detecting such abuse and stopping it?

Yakov