Re: [Asrg] In case anyone thought Barry was exaggerating

2003-06-30 15:45:41

On June 28, 2003 at 16:19 jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com (Jon Kyme) wrote:
away, then it's a DDoS attack.  This is the future of spam for
*everyone*.  I was saying this 3-4 years ago, and almost no on
believed me.  If we don't do SOMETHING to solve the spam problem, then
3-4 years from now, my current problems will seem minor, and NO ONE
will be using email.

If no-one is using (receiving) email, why will the spammers
send it?

Another way of putting is that e-mail will become useful ONLY for
sending and receiving spam.

It's kinda like terra-forming, it's spamma-forming the mail system.

This is partly due to the flood of garbage mail's become, and partly
due to the rise in false positives as people desparately try to make
the service useful rather than go back to long-distance charges and
telephone tag.

So, email will only be useful for mildly unreliable communications,
stuff you don't care a lot if you accidentally miss or throw away,
that is, spam.

If that doesn't have a positive reward ratio for you then you'll give
up on it entirely.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*