Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Creative Addressing

2003-10-02 21:24:28
At 2:02 PM -0400 10/2/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
   This document gives instructions for implementing a mail system that
   will reduce the amount of SPAM received by the end users. The
   instructions specify disposable and single-purpose mailboxes that
   will allow for the source of SPAM to be easily identified.

I'll confess, I haven't read it. But from the description I have several comments.

1. I've been using per-domain addresses for several years (e.g. username+webdomain(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com). I've gotten very confused at times in registration systems when a company changes it's name, but I have never received spam to any of them. Guess I don't give my address to unscrupulous companies. That said, I full expect to get spam eventually. It happened to one of my older addresses. One of the companies I gave it to went out of business and sold their address list. Which leads me to #2.

2. So I know who sold my address. What does that gain me? It certainly doesn't stop the spam. It doesn't even tell you who has the address now.

3. Spreading lots of different email addresses around is a bad idea. The fact that you know you can reject them really doesn't help. As we speak, my mail server is eating up 8-16KBs of bandwidth right now doing nothing but rejecting email sent to non-existent addresses. Yesterday some idiot on Level3's network tried to connect to our mail server 500,000 times. You do *not* want that happening to your mail server. Increasing the number of throwaway addresses simply increases the bandwidth costs of spam.

4. I gather from other comments that the technique uses wildcard addresses. I tried that just the other day. I figured I'd set up a wildcard address for somewhere.com that pointed to Versign's "service". I thought maybe they'd enjoy all the traffic from people attempting to ftp to ftp.somewhere.com, or spam smtp.somewhere.com, and so on. Three pieces of software in my network broke in the next two days and I gave up and got rid of it.

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.