Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Creative Addressing

2003-10-03 18:20:37
At 4:18 PM -0400 10/3/03, Curtis M. Kularski wrote:
I find item #1 humorous, "unscrupulous companies". Ever shopped with
Amazon.com? They sell addresses, but yet have a high amount of consumer
trust.

As I mentioned, I use tagged email addresses. I've shopped with Amazon.com since they opened the store. I've never had them sell my address. They *did* expose it to the public once, when I commented on an auction vendor, not realizing they would use my amazon.com address, but that was easy enough to fix once I realized it.

What evidence do you have that they sell addresses?

server to dispose of the mail and not respond. The server would forward
the mail to a dead-end account.

Those two statements contradict each other. Either you reject the mail, or you forward it. If you forward it, then you get a *huge* bandwidth hit. I assumed that you would reject it, and my example addresses that assumption:

 > 3. Spreading lots of different email addresses around is a bad idea.
 The fact that you know you can reject them really doesn't help.  As  we
 speak, my mail server is eating up 8-16KBs of bandwidth right now  doing
 nothing but rejecting email sent to non-existent addresses.  Yesterday
 some idiot on Level3's network tried to connect to our mail  server
 500,000 times.  You do *not* want that happening to your mail  server.
 Increasing the number of throwaway addresses simply
 > increases the bandwidth costs of spam.

None of those addresses are being accepted. That bandwidth and traffic comes from bouncing spam and viruses sent to 40,000 non-existent addresses. We bounce one every two seconds in normal times, 10-15 a second during peak virus season. To put that in terms of throw-away addresses, I'd guess that an average user might have 20 throwaways in a year, so call that the traffic for 2000 users (the first year--of course it doubles every year after that).

Throwaway addresses are based on the assumption that sending mail to a non-existent address is "free". It isn't.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense

everyone else's.