Re: [Asrg] TitanKey Patents

2005-03-28 10:51:50
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:16:04 -1000
Peter Kay <peter(_at_)titankey(_dot_)com> wrote:

Also, none of you (last posts included) have been able to demonstrate
prior art. Yes there have been blocklists, but I've yet to find prior
art showing "end-users managing their own personal white/black lists
that are enforced in the mail-from/rcpt-to (envelope) part of the smtp
transaction."

Procmail's `formail` will process SMTP envelope data.  Certainly I've
had the following recipe in my procmailrc since at least 1997 if not
earlier:

  :0 Whf
  | formail -z -R 'From ' X-Envelope-From:

Use of the X-Envelope-To header can be easily documented via Google back
into 1995.  eg:

  http://www.repgrid.com/pcp/archives/1995Q4/0021.html

Documented use in procmail recipies for filters seems to date back to at
least 1998 with simple Google searches (I didn't look very hard -- I bet
you could push it back further):

  http://finnell.org/.procmailrc.txt

Note that the recipe that uses X-Envelope-From at the above URL uses it
to filter against a private blacklist of addresses.  A similar set of
searches for 'net documentation on X-Envelope-To (the matching header
for the other side of the envelope) gives similar results.

Procmail is an end-user tool.

--
J C Lawrence
claw(_at_)kanga(_dot_)nu               He lived as a devil, eh?