Re: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

2005-03-18 00:49:55
On Friday 18 March 2005 13:20, Peter Kay wrote:

Are you well versed in patent law?

Yes.

And when I say obvious, it's
obvious like 1 + 1 = 2 is obvious. I've been using such
things since around 1996, and it took me all of about 2
seconds after starting to do block lists to realise this
would be a useful thing to do.

You guys are still focusing on server-wide blacklisting which I've said was
prior art.

No. What I am saying is that when we started implementing block lists, it was
immediately obvious that having *per-user* block lists would be useful, and
that is what I have been doing since around '96.

As for the C/R stuff, Ron Guilmette and I had a conversation on that in the
'96 era too, but others managed to point out (correctly) that C/R was bad for
the net so I dropped the idea entirely, and I think Ron mostly dropped it
too.

If this was so "obvious", then how many products have been created that
employ our claims? As of about a year ago, we couldn't find any.

Many products had the capability to be configured to do so, but advertising
something so specific simply wasn't something they would do, any more than
they would advertise their discovery that 1+1=2. Nor would most people who
implement it advertise it, since it is all fairly trivial stuff to do as long
as you know the products.

But presence of a packaged feature in a product is relevant to prior art, not
to obviousness. They're different tests, and you only need to show EITHER
obviousness OR prior art to defeat a patent. But since you seem to think
you're so knowledgable about patent law you obviously already knew that.
--
Troy Rollo
asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name   Executive Director, iCAUCE