Re: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

2005-03-17 21:06:45
On Mar 17, 2005, at 9:20 PM, Peter Kay wrote:
If this was so "obvious", then how many products have been created that
employ our claims? As of about a year ago, we couldn't find any.

To reference a totally and completely un-related thing that has popped up (relatively) recently - how "obvious" was the idea of Thefacebook? The idea of large databases of personal information has been around forever (AOL et al probably pretty much invented it), the idea of social network theory has been around for a while, and the idea of using such a web-database to analyze and use such a graph in various ways would be "obvious" to anyone who thought of it (I thought of using it somewhat like in Thefacebook does about 6 years ago). So I'd say that the pieces of Thefacebook are basically "obvious". So why didn't it exist until last year? Who knows. But just because putting together "obvious" pieces may not have happened yet, does that mean that putting them together is something "unobvious", worthy of being called real "innovation", and thus worthy of a patent? That's a philosophical question more suited to the CNI-Copyright list I think..

Jim (back to lurk-dom..)