Re: [Asrg] user-level blacklisting patented

2005-03-27 12:03:33
In message <4245ED96(_dot_)5020905(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>, mathew
Troy Rollo wrote:

No. What I am saying is that when we started implementing block lists, it was immediately obvious that having *per-user* block lists would be useful, and that is what I have been doing since around '96.

Let's not forget that procmail allowed per-user block lists in December 1990. Certainly by 1994 I was using it to return an SMTP error to someone who mailbombed me, by passing an error code back to sendmail from my .forward file.

So not only is the patented technique obvious, it has a good decade of prior art through common usage.

DELIVER on VAX/VMS had user based rejection based on the from field in the late 1980's as I recall using it then. Downloadable of DELIVER are here:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/freeware/freeware40/deliver/

Reference to DELIVER in 1989 here:
http://www.decus.org/libcatalog/cd-abs.html

I also built a GUI front end to procmail and mention an "auto delete" feature based on certain rules. This thesis was written in late 1993/early 1994 and subsequently published by SIGS in Object Currents magazine. 10 years later I know that students were still referring to the thesis, so I guess there are citations in other theses which could be checked. My thesis is available online here: http://www.siliconglen.com/craig/cv.html and has been available on the web since Jan 1996.

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). SiliconGlen.com Ltd. http://SiliconGlen.com
Home to the first online guide to Scotland, founded 1994.