Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

2008-04-01 23:22:21
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk(_at_)gsp(_dot_)org> wrote:
This is a followup to one particular section:

 But I chose
 those ridiculous policies to emphasize that a site furnishing services
 (like SMTP) is the sole and final arbiter of the terms and conditions
 under which it will do so, and if that site chooses to implement these
 or some considerably less far-fetched policies, whatever those policies
 are, they don't cause any "damage".  They merely grant/deny a privilege,
 as the case may be.

 Since those requesting services are never entitled to those privileges,
 they can never claim that they are "damaged" if their request is denied.
 They might (variously) be upset, disappointed or even surprised
 (especially if someone is using the prime number policy, any sane
 person would use the Fibonacci sequence) but they're not damaged.

 ---Rsk

I'm not a lawyer and I try not to play one on the Internet, but this
makes a lot of sense to me. It's much akin to claiming that you've
been 'censored' on a private system. Private systems don't censor,
they assert their rights.

Best,

Martin