Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

2008-04-02 22:04:16
On Apr 3, 12:00am, Seth wrote:
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage"

Bart Schaefer <schaefer(_at_)brasslantern(_dot_)com> wrote:
If I take an action, and as a result you're worse off than you were
before I took it, have I damaged you?

Today, you have no idea whether you can reach someone by email next
week.  Tomorrow, your IP is added to a list.  You still have no idea
whether you can reach him next week.  Next week, you attempt to email
him, and fail.  Did adding your IP to the list make you worse off?

I didn't say the answer to the question was always "yes." However, in
response to this specific straw man, just because I don't know that I'm
worse off doesn't mean that I'm not.

It also doesn't mean that blame for my being worse off can be attached
to the nameless entity who added my IP to the list. Holding someone
responsible is entirely beside the point. If my own behavior had no
bearing on whether my IP is (or is not) on the list, any consequences
(intended or not) that affect me are "collateral," and if those
consequences are adverse they are "damage."

So if the BCP is going to say anything about adverse consequences that
affect a larger group than the directly-identifiable actors, the words
"collateral damage" have the appropriate meaning.