Re: [Asrg] arguing about terms (was RE: Round 2 of the DNSBL BCP - "collateral damage")

2008-04-02 11:52:41
J D Falk wrote:
Matthew Sullivan wrote:

The statement that 'a blacklist blocks mail' is... wrong.

And yet, if you ask pretty much any DNSBL user what a DNSBL is for,
they'll say it's for blocking mail.  If you ask anyone whose IP (or
other identifier) has been listed what the DNSBL did, they'll say it
blocked their mail.  We anti-spammers have argued this for a decade and
we can argue it for another decade, but a reasonable person will come to
a very different conclusion than we do.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns.  Blacklists don't
block e-mail users using blacklists block e-mail.

Seriously, get it right or I'l lhave to go all card-carrying-NRA-member
up in here! :)

(yes I really am one)

Andrew
AHBL.org