Re: [Asrg] DNSBL BCP - enough, already, of the amateur lawyering

2008-04-02 08:16:36
That's a good point.  But (and here comes the amateur lawyering)
I believe that a valid defense against libel is truth.

Only in the United States, not in the UK nor in many other countries.
(Google for "Zenger".)

And adverse possession only applies to real estate.

The IETF has its own group of Junior Lawyers, and I am pretty sure
that if we make any legal claims, they'll send the doc back to us on
the reasonable grounds that laws differ all over the place, and none
of us are legal experts even for the places we live.

So I think we MUST take out anythink that's likely to be read as legal
advice.

On the other hand, if this BCP is successful, we can expect people to
wave it around in court cases to try to establish that some blacklist
does or does not act in accordance with industry standards.  So please
concentrate on making it clear, and keeping in mind the C, not too far
from what respectable BLs do now.

R's,
John