Re: [Asrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-asrg-dnsbl-08.txt (fwd)

2008-11-19 16:32:05
David Nicol wrote:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Chris Lewis <clewis(_at_)nortel(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I believe we have two dots under discussion at this time which may be
properly connected:
Have RBL operators allow opting in for them, then send ARF reports on
listing.
We had this conversation a little over a week ago in terms of
instrumenting MTAs to send off ARF reports automatically.

not MTAs, but DNSBLs

the email I replied to on the 12th was _definately_ to do with MTAs
generating ARF.

That might work on some smaller DNSBLs that work on a strict "spam in
hand" basis.  Eg: SBL.

for which it would make sense, of course.

I believe in an implied "where it would make sense" and an implied
dismissal of specific situations where something that makes sense in
some situations doesn't make sense doesn't make sense.  ASRG is the
only forum I am aware of where this belief may put me in the minority
(laugh)

How about the IETF? ;-)

Something like "Where practical, a DNSBL MAY consider offering
notification of listing" might do it.  I'm not sure you can get more
detailed than that.  Eg: "how", "format", "authorization" etc.

Can't be ARF very often.

Wordsmithing?