Re: [Asrg] What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?

2009-06-19 04:52:33

--On 18 June 2009 15:19:24 -0400 der Mouse <mouse(_at_)Rodents-Montreal(_dot_)ORG> wrote:

Have you heard of SPF?

Yes.  It flopped, no?  If it had been widely adopted, I might have to
decide whether I think it constitutes "pushing responsibility to the
edge".  But I don't.

No, it hasn't flopped. It just hasn't reached critical mass yet.
<http://www.openspf.org/Statistics> has some interesting stuff, including reports by Microsoft of their experience of SenderID, from Google of their positive experience with SPF and DKIM.

These surveys show the rate of growth of SPF record publication:

<http://dns.measurement-factory.com/surveys/>
2005 - not measured
2006 - 6% of 1,756,827 zones with at least one working nameserver published SPF records
2007 - 12.6% of 2,053,150 ''
2008 - 16.72% of 1,000,000 ''

Google's conclusion: "Reputation based upon the authenticated sender’s domain works well for us. Spammers are easily identified, as are good senders. Only a few senders end up in the grey area in between, and for these we still have the traditional statistical filtering methods for classification. It is not without a few problems though, but we think they are small enough that they can be worked out eventually. We think reputation systems can work well for others too, and we hope to see more senders authenticating and observing good sending practices because of it."

They're referring to a combination of SPF (good for early decisions, based on recipient preferences) and DKIM (protects forwarded email).

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex